Pages

Thursday 16 April 2015

An Epiphany

The month of April is rarely ever kind. It heralds an end of spring and a beginning of the harsh summer season.

One such April afternoon, I was sitting comfortably inside one of the rooms at the British Council, totally shielded from the crude swelter, and in complete oblivion of the hustle-bustle of the busy Connaught Place.  I looked out the window and for the first time, I noticed what had missed my eye in so many days- a wide, open courtyard with a small fountain in the centre.  Kalpita noticed me peering out and said, “That’s Charbagh. You all must go and explore the place today.”

 “Wonder why she is asking us to check out a courtyard in this sweltering heat?” I thought to myself.

We all went down nevertheless.

What I saw was a huge open area, surrounded by the red and black stone walls of the Council. It was an empty courtyard, with a small, square body of water right in the centre. It was probably a fountain that was not working at that moment. I instantly became aware of the change in my surroundings. I heard the cooing of pigeons and a faint sound of the heavy traffic on the other side of the wall. The thick walls of the building were perhaps designed to keep too much noise at bay.

I looked around. “Oh wow! Buddha!” I heard Ananya exclaim and I followed the direction of her eyes. There, from the wall on our left, it stared back at us- a colossal face. The oval-shaped face was carved out on a square, stone wall, taller than even the boundary wall of the Council.

It wasn’t Buddha. The face had a large pair of eyes, an over-sized nose, and big, wide lips. Its eyes were closed. What was staring back at us were not the eyes, I realized; it was the sheer size of the face that was, and it left us dwarfed in its presence. I wanted to feel the face now with my fingers. I went closer. Oh what was that? Next to the face, on the grey stone wall, I noticed more ovals jutting out that had a hand, a nose, lips, eyes and ears sculpted on them.

I was engrossed looking at the stone structure when I suddenly smelt food. It was 1.30pm. I sighed. May be I was just too hungry, but as I turned around, I saw students sitting there and eating. I heard the cling-clang of their forks and spoons and happy sounds of their conversations, and  was instantly taken back to my college days. There was a lone guy at a distance, working on his laptop.

As I looked around, taking in all the sounds and mentally absorbing what I saw and felt, everything suddenly started making sense. The heat was biting my bare arms and feet, like a sword slicing through my wounds, but the realization that had dawned was far too overpowering to let the heat exasperate me. I now knew why Kalpita had thought it would be interesting for us to see the place. The 'Charbagh' had awakened my senses and brought me in touch with the world beyond the closed confines of comfort. It reminded me that the calmness I had experienced inside the building was momentary; and while I was there, unmindful of the happenings outside, the world went on as usual…the birds did not stop flying or chirping, the people went about their daily tasks, the hundreds of ACs in the towering buildings that I could see, worked hard to bring respite to the people inside as   business went on as usual in every corner of the city.

The ‘Charbagh’ left me more mindful of things and activities that happen around. It of course left me disappointed for one reason though.  When the most predictable, four-garden (char bagh) definition failed as there weren’t any, I was anticipating it to be a haven for smokers; some of them puffing away the ‘Charminar’ brand, lending the place its name, but I unfortunately did not spot a single one!!


No comments:

Post a Comment